JOIN THE ADVENTURE
- ASIA ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
- HOW THE PROGRAMME WORKS...
- WHO CAN APPLY?
- WHAT CAN I STUDY?
- WHERE CAN I STUDY?
- WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS LIST
- CONTACT US
- "Apply Now - Asia Abroad Scholarship Programme"
- "Apply Now - Taiwan Government Scholarship Application"
Through the BVI's "Asia Abroad Programme" Virgin Islanders now have the opportunity to study abroad in the Asia-Pacific! The region is the emerging economic and cultural center of the world in the 21st century with whom the Virgin Islands has had a long-standing relationship for 30 years. The BVI has been economically integrated into Asia’s Financial markets since the 1990s with over 50% of BVI’s Financial Services revenue presently generated in the Asia-Pacific. Asia’s World Ranked Universities, Premier Financial Centers, Top Rated Public Health & Hospital Systems, and Technology Hubs in the modern cities/countries of China, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, & Japan are ideal for Virgin Islanders to broaden their education and knowledge of the world!
The Asia Abroad Programme is a three-way partnership between the Government of the Virgin Islands, elite Universities in Asia, and the Private Sector. The Universities provide tuition waivers for study, and the Government & Private Sector provide financial support for housing, airfare, and cost of living expenses. Potential awardees are required to complete separate applications for both University acceptance and Government grants or Private Sector Awards. Successful applicants have the possibility of receiving:
I. Full Tuition Waiver + BVI Government Grant + Private Sector Award
II. Full Tuition Waiver + BVI Government Grant
III. Full Tuition Waiver + Private Sector Award
IV. Full Tuition Waiver
*All awards cover a base of TUITION FREE STUDY! Government Grants and Private Sector Awards are distributed thereafter based on available funding.
**Students are expected to contribute to their cost of living & travel expenses over the period of their studies in Asia.
***University acceptance is required to receive an award.
Any individual meeting the follwing criteria is eligible to participate in BVI's Asia Abroad Programme:
- Any Virgin Islander that is a Propsective High School Graduate in their Final Year meeting early entry requirements for the chosen Universities may apply for a scholarship towards Bachelor's Degree studies!
- Any Virgin Islander with an Acredited High School Diploma meeting entry requirements for the chosen Universities may apply for a scholarship toward Bachelor's Degree studies!
- Any Virgin Islander with an Accredited Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master’s Degree meeting entry requirements for the chosen Universities may apply for a scholarship toward Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral Degree studies!
- Virgin Islander - as defined by the Virgin Islands Constitution 2007 (Virgin Islander: Citizen - holder of a BVI Passport / Belonger - holder of a BVI Belonger's Card)
- Permanent Resident - as determined by BVI's Immigration Authorities (neither a Citizen or Belonger, but permanently residing in Territory due to unique circumstances)
- (Note - Permanent Residents are only eligible for University Tuition Waivers)
Tuition free, Virgin Islanders can undertake Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral Degree studies in Hospitality & Tourism, Information Technology, Engineering, Media & Communications, Marine/Maritime Studies, Public Health and Medical Fields, Nursing, Education, Agriculture & Fisheries, Finance/Financial Services, Public Administration/Public Policy, Diplomacy, or other areas assigned by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Fisheries and Agriculture. The BVI Government will determine which areas of study are in greatest need and select candidates accordingly.
You have the option of studying at Universities in Asia’s most modern wealthy countries and cities including China, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan!
PARTICIPATING TAIWAN UNIVERSITIES:
National Taiwan University - Bachelor's / Master's Degree Scholarships
National Sun Yat Sen University - Master's / Doctoral Degree Scholarships
Taipei Medical University - Master's Degree Scholarships
PARTICIPATING MACAU UNIVERSITIES:
University of Macau - Bachelor's / Master's Degree Scholarships
University of St. Joseph - Bachelor's / Master's Degree Scholarships
Macau Institute for Tourism Studies - Bachelor's Degree Scholarships
PARTICIPATING HONG KONG UNIVERSITIES:
Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Bachelor's Degree Scholarships
PARTICIPATING SINGAPORE UNIVERSITIES:
Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (National University of Singapore) - Master's Degree Scholarship's (BVI Civil Service)
STEP 1 - Complete the ASIA ABROAD SCHOLARSHIP application online. Applications open October 1, 2021 and close March 31, 2022.
STEP 2 - Complete online applications to at least 2 (two) of the available Universities by their Winter or Spring deadlines.
STEP 3 - Submit all supporting documents required for the application. **(See supporting documents list below)
STEP 4 - Complete an interview with the BVI Scholarship Committee.
STEP 5 - Be approved for study and funding.
STEP 6 - BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY....
In order to complete the online application applicants are required to submit the following supplementary documents:
- Passport Size Photo (1) (Frontal facing, colour photo without shadows)
- Proof of Citizenship
- Proof of Parents’ National Status
- Copy of High School Certificate
- Copy of High School Transcript
- CSEC Results, if applicable (Certificate Copy)
- Copy of College/University Acceptance Letters
- Official College/University Transcripts
- Personal Statment (Essay)
- Three (3) letters of reference (non-family)
- Family/Personal Contribution and Evidence of Ability to Fund Personal Contribution
- Surety’s Name & Signature
- Proof of Surety’s Immigration Status
- Proof of Surety’s Financial Capacity (e.g. Bank Statement, Employment Letter, etc.)
LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN
For additional information and answers to your questions please contact the BVI HONG KONG OFFICE:
Tel. Hong Kong: +852 9146 8383
Tel. BVI: +1 284 468 2151